Turmeric has a multi-purpose use: seasoning for meat, natural medicine, face mask and many more. Using turmeric face mask is a good home remedy to help lift dark circles, scares, and even moisturise your skin.
Even though there are plenty of ways to make a turmeric mask, I chose a simple recipe as it only takes 2 minutes. You heard me correctly, 2 minutes!
- 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of oat/gram/rice flour
- 5ml lemon juice (water – if you have sensitive skin)
- 1/3 tablespoon of honey (optional)
- Mix all of the ingredients together to form a smooth paste (see above). If the mask looks too dry, add a little more lemon or water to get the right consistency.
- Use a brush or a spatula to apply the mask to your face, avoiding your eyebrows and hair. You could use your fingers to apply the mask, but your nails will turn yellow as turmeric stains.
- Leave the mask on for 10 minutes maximum (any longer and you’ll go yellow, trust me).
- Wash your face thoroughly with warm water to remove the mask. I prefer doing it in the shower with a face rag, so I don’t have to worry about getting it on to any of my clothes.
- If you’ve mixed too much, put it in an air-tight container into the fridge (1 week maximum). If it starts to dry out, add a little more lemon or water.
*A few important reminders about turmeric powder.
1. A slight yellow tint may remain on your face, but don’t worry it’ll go away by itself.
2. Turmeric does stain, so beware!
3. Please do not put turmeric on your eyebrows or hairline (apparently, it thins it out).
As you can see the mask lifted my dark circles and this was after using it for one week! I may use it more often as it truly did work for me.
After I’ve moisturised my skin, I use shea butter under my eyes. It’s great for preventing wrinkles and gives my skin a fresh-looking glow.
Have you tried turmeric mask? If yes, what were your results?